Lazy girls sleep so late!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JenZazie, Oct 30, 2016.

1. JenZazie

JenZazie New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Napa Valley, CA
    Hello! I have eight 4 month old hens. They have a nice huge run (900 square feet!) attached to their coop with an automatic door that opens at 7:30 am, but they don't come out until noon or even later! I've tried putting a light on a timer that goes on at 7:30, to wake them up since there's no natural sunlight in the coop. I want them to go outside where I don't have to clean the poop up.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, JenZazie, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! All I can think about your girls not coming out is that something outside scares them. Any predators been hanging around? Mine can't wait to get out in the a.m. to stretch their wings and scratch around. When they're out do they act normally or are they skittish? If their food and water is in the coop I'd move it to the run. They'll go out when they want to eat. Other members might have others ideas but I'm stumped! :confused:

3. JenZazie

JenZazie New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Napa Valley, CA
    Hello, and thanks! Nothing scary out there- if I go pull one or two down from the roost, they run outside and the other girls follow. I'm pretty sure it's light related, because the coop is so dark. I might need to have a window put in.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - but the fact that it's dark in the coop should make them storm out into the light when their exit door opens. Sorry I'm not much help. :(

5. JenZazie

JenZazie New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Napa Valley, CA
    Maybe they're just teenagers ;)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do they have any trouble flying up to the roost? I'm thinking maybe it looks like a LONG way down and they are afraid in the dark.

8. JenZazie

JenZazie New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Napa Valley, CA
    They do seem to make a big deal about getting down... clucking, leaning, then backing up, till one finally makes the jump to the poop board. Maybe they need a ladder!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I suggest you put a few windows in so the coop starts to get light when the sun rises, make the roosts easily accessible, and move their feed and water out to the run. Every morning go out and shoo them into the run and see if that doesn't fix em'! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!!

10. RedSky1

RedSky1 Out Of The Brooder

Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by