1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lazy Orpington or Sick ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nikkiwinder, Apr 18, 2009.

1. nikkiwinder

nikkiwinder New Egg

Mar 18, 2009
    Helo there,
    I have recently acquired a black orpington hen, she was found roosing in a tree in the countryside and seemed in good condition. Couldn't find her owner so she joined my flock. At first she was wheezing and had a rattly sound to her breathing with the occassional wet sneeze. Seems better now after tlc and remedial care.
    Eating fine, free ranging with the others breathing fine and no sneezes. The only thing I am a bit unsure of is that she lies down a lot. In the pen, in the garden anywhere. Is that just a trait of the breed, is she lazy or should I be concerned. I have checked her feet and legs and cant find anything untoward.

Thanks, hope you can set my mind at ease
    Regards
    Nikki

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.

All of my hens sound like this Australorp you are describing. After they eat they find a spot to lounge until they feel the urge to lay and then they head to a nest box.

I certainly hope you isolated her from the rest of your flock so that they wouldn't also get sick.

3. nikkiwinder

nikkiwinder New Egg

Mar 18, 2009
    yes, I kept them apart until she was wormed, checked over and settled in.

She is a lot happier now, comes running over for treats, gobbles them up then has to have a little lie down from the exertion. lol

I am amazed she escaped the predators in the field she was found in with all the little lie downs she has. Ha Ha

Anyway, thanks for your reply. That has set my mind at ease. I do fret too much over the chickens sometimes, but I believe in better safe than sorry

Regards
    Nikki

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

She may have come off a truck. You could have saved a slaughterhouse lady- bravo!

She's probably adjusting, too, happy to be in a cozy spot with reliable feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by