lBR ROO TRIED TO BLIND SIDE ME

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 33yardbirds, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    No hit no "fowl". Turned on him and he skirted away from me. One more time and it is off with his head. He got a pass because there was no contact, but one more challange and the sentence is death. He will be 9 months old the end of the month so I guess he starting to feel "cocky".

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I won't keep those mean attack roos, either, but I do try walking toward them to back them down.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:That works so well for me! My various roosters have tried to test me, nothing really challenging, and it works. Even with the little Sebright, although I did have to walk him backwards over thirty feet! The other Sebright roo knows better. He just follows me around, skulking after me to make sure I'm not going to do anything bad to his girls.

All the Roos know Carl is Head Roo, and I am Carl's Boss. Carl is a magnificent, standard EE.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    At nine months he's feeling pretty cocky.

I almost butchered my roo because he kept challenging me, but he has since settled down nicely. Just this week I had to do some routine maintenance on the whole flock. I was worried he would give me some flack about it, but he stayed right away from me while I was busy in the coop. I grabbed each girl (all 18 of them) off the roosts, treated them, checked them over, and then set them loose. Some of them screamed bloody murder, flapped around and basically made a nuisance of themselves, but he let me work on everyone without so much as a dirty look. He checked the girls over thoroughly when I was done with them and seemed to be reassuring them that it was OK. I was quite impressed. He was always fine with the girls (a little rough when he was younger), but he tended to be aggressive towards humans. A little time seems to have alleviated that. I still don't trust him as far as I can throw him, but at least he isn't actively fighting me like he did when he was younger.

Maybe give your roo a bit more time to settle down. If he persists, then enjoy him for dinner. Too many good roos looking for homes to put up with a bad one.

Good luck.

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
  6. aubreyt78

aubreyt78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    We have one that is fiesty, and I just steer clear(we call him fog horn leg horn) He is smart I will tell you----------he never leaves the immediate coop area, ever since we had a fox 2 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by