Le fleche or Houdans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guccibirds423, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am considering working on one breed and one breed only. I am considering Le fleche or Houdans? I am not sure which one I prefer. I like both. I am looking for a White egg layer that would be good for dual purpose and from what I have read both of these are perfect for that. With a little breeding and culling eventually I could get them back to standarf. Hopefully. Where would be a good place to order either of these breeds?

Any help would be great.

Gregory

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    There is a La Fleche thread and a Houdan thread here on the byc forums somewhere I would try there. I would love to get both these breeds myself. My dd really wants to get and show the La Fleche. I saw a really nice (roo) one at a show once and he did really well. He was much bigger than I expected the breed to be, never having seen them in person before that. You don't seem them much at shows. I am glad there are those who are working hard to get these birds up to par.

3. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Hmmm...Having raised both, I'd go with the La Fleche.

Where are you located? Getting breeder birds are best. If you're going to end up ordering froa hatchery, hatchery La Fleche are better than hatchery Houdans quality-wise.

For hatcheries, I'd order La Fleche from Duane Urch and/or Sand Hill.

For a gentle FYI, it will take A LOT more that a "little breeding and culling." I say this, though, without rancor, I love the challenge of working with a really tough breed, but I also recognize the reality of where they're at. Both of these breeds are in need of some serious breeding and champions willing to work with them seriously.

We have some pretty strong La Fleche, but I'm not sure if we are going to sell chicks in the spring.

If you're willing to work with them, La Fleche are a cool challenge.

4. Guccibirds423

Le Fleche are what I going more towards. I love the look of the Le Fleche. Do you know how I can get in contact with Duane Urch or anyone with his blood like. Where can I find a good standard for Le Fleche's online?

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    http://standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190

Just acquired a La Fleche trio from Mr. Urch & two adult pair from a BYC member (so I have 3 males, 4 females now).

I agree with Yellow House:

Quote: They are severely undersized, and it will take many years to get them up, if ever. Like Joe, I especially like a challenge.

6. Guccibirds423

How can i get in contact with mr. Urch? I am very interested in getting these birds..

How do you plan on getting them up in size? what is everyone method of getting bigger birds?

7. Guccibirds423

I have contacted Mr. Urch, I am hoping to get a trio of birds from him. Can anyone help me get a trio or eggs from some other byc with maybe a different bloodline!

8. cgmccary

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Quote: Hatch a lot & select for size.

9. Guccibirds423

So keep the bigger chicks? Or raise all to almost adulthood and keep large? or both methods? keep larger chicks raise to adult, then keep larger stock? Sorry for the stupid questions just making sure i get all this right.

10. cgmccary

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Quote: Your questions aren't stupid at all. All good, worthy questions. My experience is selecting Buckeyes which are faster growers so easy for me to select at particular ages.

I plan to grow up as many La Fleche as possible so I can see how they grow out this first year. If there are obvious differences in heart girth, body length and broadness of back, weight, then I will cull the smaller birds. This first year, I plan to weigh the birds every 8 weeks so I have something to go by next year. Hopefully in a few years, I will have an idea how they grow. Another aspect will be feeding. I was planning on experimenting with a couple of different feeding plans. Since they are slow growing, I will not feed them like I do my Buckeyes -- probably go with a lower protein starter or a mixture of lower/ higher & see how that does.

I am open to ideas and would love to have others to discuss La Fleche with-- we have a dedicated thread -- join the thread and discuss what we are seeing as we hatch and raise. I do have a mentor or two I plan to ask more questions and will share with you what I learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by