1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lea my pregnant horse-Update:she foaled

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Keisha, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I have a horse named Lea, shes a bay throughbred mare. And is pregnant, her due date was Friday. Since monday she has been showing signs of impending labor (ie has milk, her belly shrunk- which happens when it moves into the birth canal..). Horses have complete control over the first stage of labor -meaning they can stop it during that time if they choose to. Which she has been doing and driving us all crazy waiting. She goes into labor again with contractions and starts sweating, urinating frequently, makign tons of noise , pacing, getting up and down frequently, walking around with her tail in the air, sometimes she seems to be trying to push, and then she stops. Its incredibly irritating lol. Never again, I cant take the waiting, it makes it all the more worse that they can stop the labor. The vet says as long as shes eating and drinking shes fine, and that she will have it when shes good and ready. (which i hope will be soon!) He also said that horses have a low pain tolerance and so thats why she causes such a fuss during contractions.
    Anyone else happen to be waiting for the same thing?
    If the foal is a filly I think it was agreed the name will be Jasmyn and a colt Jerico. Atleast I think those are the names they finally settled on..
    I also have eggs due to hatch on Tueday and Friday..

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How exciting! I'm sure you are on pins and needles!!

Babies come when they are ready, but that doesn't help bring patience to us caregivers who are anxious to meet the littles ones too.

Hope all goes well with the foaling ( and the eggs) , and of course you have to post PICS!

3. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    How exciting! I'm sure you are on pins and needles!!

Babies come when they are ready, but that doesn't help bring patience to us caregivers who are anxious to meet the littles ones too.

Hope all goes well with the foaling ( and the eggs) , and of course you have to post PICS!

Definitly on pins and needles.
    I will defiintly see what I can do about pictures, we have to go and get a new camera cord for the computer one of these days, left the puppy in the house alone for about 10 minutes, and she had a hay day chewing it up.
    I might have some older pics uploaded already of Lea on image shack , so Ill have to see​

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I feel for you!! We had our first calf last week, and I swear everyday for 3 weeks we thought, "it is happening right now", but no, she took her own sweet time having that baby.

I hope she has it soon, and I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby.

5. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I feel for you!! We had our first calf last week, and I swear everyday for 3 weeks we thought, "it is happening right now", but no, she took her own sweet time having that baby.

I hope she has it soon, and I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby.

well I guess i get my answer for you on your own post [​IMG] [​IMG] now. Yea we've thought its happening almost everyday, she was acting alittle different today, so I thought this was it, but nope. I cant wait to see it either..​

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    A good friend has been out in her barn all night every night for the past 3 weeks. She has 2 mares ready to go. She is about ready to choke them both...lol.
    They are in the process of moving to a new place, and everything is ready to go...except the mares...and she doesn't want to trailor them until they have had the babies.
    Good luck to you and your mare! [​IMG]

7. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I bet that is frustrating for your friend. Im glad Ive only got one to wait for.

Ok here is my attempt at posting some pictures of Lea . I cant exacly remember how to do this. These pictures are of her before she was pregnant, they are actually of her about 2 weeks after we got her last year in Febuary. We were ina major snow/ice storm the time when the picture was taken, and didnt have any power. Im not sure if i have any more current ones of her on this computer or not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Of course, many people (with fairly good reason) swear that the way to get a pregnant mare to go ahead and foal is to plan something in your own life, something requiring your extended attention or absence and making it extremely inconvenient for the horse to foal then. It's very likely, or anyhow often seems so, that the one time it's important the mare DOESN'T go into labor, she will [​IMG] Spend all day at a show; plan an expensive night on the town with nonrefundable tickets for a show; acquire an obligation to be gone all night; like that.

[​IMG]

It is possible there may be a small element of actual truth in this btw -- they are generally most likely to foal when they are not Being Watched [​IMG]

It sure is frustrating though -- good luck, and make sure to post pix once you finally have a foal running around! [​IMG]

Pat

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    The waiting is the hardest part!

My last homebirth foal was out of a rescue mare. She arrived at our farm extremely emaciated and one month from her due date. Near her due date, we set up the cot in the barn and started spending the night with her.

Two weeks later, we gave that up and did two hour checks every night.

She foaled in between checks a full month past her due date. Apparently she didn't want an audience!

Good luck catching her in the act!

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I was just talking about this yesterday with someone. I've never had to wait for my own horse to birth but have been around many others that do. They horses wait for you to leave them alone. So plan a day outing or something. She will probably do it late at night or early a.m. too. Take a nap with a baby monitor and listen to her instead of watching. Have you felt the foal moving?
    Can't wait for pictures. What was she bred to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by