Lead Paint!?!??!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happy Chicken Mama, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    So, my most special silkie "whoopy" Has eaten a lot of the paint off of several doors in our 1929 house. She has not been acting right for about a day now.

She is:

Walking funny
    Green Poop (only once)
    Yesterday my husband caught her eating her own poop! She has never done this!
    Also she seems desperate to eat but isn't actually eating much at all. Her crop is almost totally empty.

She crawled under a feather blanket about three weeks ago and took a really long nap (She loves to cuddle). She got terribly overheated and almost died but after a week completely recovered. I am not sure if these symptoms are led paint? Just left over overheating stuff or what?!?!?!?

She is my most darling friend and I am terrible worried about her.

Should I take her to the vet?????

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Yes she did have a bit of yougurt and O.J.

But she wont eat more that a bite or two of anything... even cheese (her fave)!

My husband and I are totally in love with her and after the scare several weeks ago we wat to do whatever we need to.

Not sure about the Detoxamin. Has anyone ever given their chicken a suppositorie!?!?!?!?!

Hey, if it works and I don't have to take her to the vet for 5 shots that would be great!

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm new to this but i have read here not to give chickens citrus type foods(has something harmfull to them in it). Not sure if oj would be the same but i don't think i would take a chance. Good luck and i hope she gets better. She is a good looking chick.

6. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Whoopy says, ‘Thank you everyone’ for the compliments!
    She is a lovely bird but I am a little biased.

I had no idea about Citrus! She drinks it like it is going out of style!
    Well, a teaspoon every third day or so. I may have exaggerated a little.

But she likes red wine much better! When I open up a bottle she won’t leave me alone until I give her a sip! You should see her running around the house after me!

She has eaten a few seeds but I am still not sure if I should take her to the vet or not.

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Could it be Merricks?

I have not vaccinated her... never even thought about it till now. Our other chickens came vaccinated and she hasn’t been exposed to any other chickens.

Can anyone tell me what the symptoms are?

[​IMG]

Little Whoopy

8. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    Maybe that hand feeding baby bird formula could get some calories in her. Good luck, she looks like such a sweety. Also if you have a scale that does ounces start tracking her weight.

9. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    Some other thoughts....if she as special to you as she sounds then dont hesitate to go to the vet, just make sure they are familiar with birds. I recently spent $105 on a goose at the vet and that was such a small price to pay for something you love that you have entrusted to your care.

10. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Great Advise!

Thank you!

We had a racoon attack one of our cochins several years ago. My husband jokes that we know have the most expensive chicken on the planet... after stitches... IV's... etc. Anyone else have a $500 big black cochin? We love her so much! It was worth it.

I will call first thing in the morning and schedule an appointment. They can at least vaccintate her for merricks while we're there right? Another thing off my mind.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by