1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lead poisoning from newspaper.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjdanko, Mar 1, 2014.

1. vjdanko

vjdanko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Worth, IL 60482
    So, I'm going to get my first chicks ever in spring. I see in pictures people put newspaper in their boxes. Won't the chicks get lead poisoning from lead in the paint?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Lead is no longer used in newspapers, it is a plant-based ink.

However, newspaper is not a very good substrate for chicks, it is too slippery and not very absorbent.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Cover the newspaper with pine shavings. Chicks are prone to getting spraddle leg from being on slippery newspaper and it becomes a wet, poopy mess very fast.

4. Black wallnut

Black wallnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    The lead was not from the ink it was from the type plate. The ink was applied to plates made from lead alloys, lynotype being one of the most used, and then pressed onto paper. Lead transfer printing most disappeared in the 70's.Lead was also used in paint. Ink is not paint.

The recommendation of using newsprint is only for a day or two so that the chicks do not eat the litter. Once they "learn" where their feed is the newspaper can go away.

5. McCoysOrps

McCoysOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Mt Juliet TN

Go and get some shavings and put the food and water on a board

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  6. vjdanko

vjdanko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Worth, IL 60482
    I appreciate the info and advice from all of you. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by