1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    So I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on .... Yesterday my Cream puff died...and a couple weeks ago alomst the same thing haooened to Spike my little frizzle. Lethargic, weak, wont eat, sits on the ground all puffed up and cold to the touch. I'm trying to figure out whats going on....its only chickens in that coop that are doing this. It is right next to the house and the house is ANCIENT. I'm wondering if maybe they are getting paint chips that could potentially be lead? Anyobne ever have chickens get get lead poisoning? If so are these symptoms similar? in the mean time I have evacuated tghe coop....shoveled out the run and I am cleaning everything including the ground and putting ALOT of fill on the ground and packing it down. Suggestions?

Here is the post from Cream puff if you want to read more about her day of death. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=516980

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Puffed up and lethargic could be signs of coccidiosis. Have you noticed any bloody poops? There is a video here that is educational, though difficult to watch. If you think yours have coccidiosis after you watch that video, please treat with Corid or Sumlet. Corid is larger doses of the same medication (Amprolium) that is in medicated feeds. It is easier on the chicken, but does not treat as many strains of coccidiosis. Sumlet is a little harder on the chicken, but treats more strains. You should be able to find at least one of those at your local feed store. Any chickens surviving the infestation will be immune to any future infestations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by