I have two dogs. Leaha is the younger one, she's a German Shepherd, bright, wonderful. I was gifted her right after my Mom died. She was the runt of the litter, so much so that she looked like a miniature breed, with the most beautiful face. She's turned into a lovely regal pal, lets the chickens 'have their way' with her, she and her sister (black lab) are tight. When she was nearly two, she was diagnosed with (quoting the seasoned vet) the 'worst severe hip dysplacia' she'd ever seen, the bone not even in the joint. She's also had cancerous growths removed, and the dr has warned that this will be something that will return. Just not sure when. We were givent the option of surgery to remove the leg, but that is too expensive, we have one child still at home and going to college. She does have medication to help with pain (she has a very high tolerance for this, and until two weeks ago, still climbed the stairs, still loved to rough house with her doggy sis) and give her the pain med whenever she seems to need it. But this afternoon/evening she's struggling. Went outside to go to the bathroom. I went to go into the garage and saw that she urinated on the cement, not grass, more than once, and that there was blood. Her nose is warm, and she is sleeping a lot, staying close to me. I called and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Gave her more meds, gave her a warm bath in the tub to help relax her. I could have taken her in tonight, but know that they will have to run tests, and have a very bad feeling about this, that the results will not be good. I do not want her to suffer. I feel bad thinking that the quality of her life may depend on finances, and I frankly, love her dearly. But I do not want her to be in pain which cannot be lightened, to give her dignity..... Thinking ahead, she and her dog sis are close. If it comes down to making THE decision tomorrow, how do you handle this with other animals that are closely linked? I know that sometimes they understand the truth of reality much more than humans, but need to process this by KNOWING that the other animal is no longer living. Any suggestions?