leaking egg in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serenity8327, Oct 10, 2019.

1. serenity8327

serenity8327 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    okay so I set 24 eggs in bator 9 days ago. of that 2 i dont believe are fertile. and 4 I couldnt see movement in but figured since they are dark eggs i may not see it. so giving them till day 14 canceling before I remove them. I got home from work today and opened to add water a foul smell hit me and I noticed 1 of those 4 was leaking so I removed it and cleaned where the egg was in the Turner and hatching tray with rubbing alcohol. but the smell is still there so my question is are the 18 that are viable going to be okay and what other steps should I take.

2. Old McRonald

Old McRonald Chirping

Jun 15, 2018
    If the smell is still strong you probably have another stinker in there. I would pick each egg up and give it a sniff until you find the culprit. I had 1 this year and the smell did linger a little bit so I left the lid off for a few minutes to air it out.

abpatchy likes this.
  3. serenity8327

serenity8327 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    I just lifted the lid this morning and it smells back to normal. I guess it was just lingering. I try to only touch the eggs 3 times during incubation. that's to candle on the 7th, 14th, and 18th day. on the 18th day I candle and move to hatching tray. so far this is the best fertility rate I've had. so I'm hoping for more then just 2 this time. both are little black sexlink roos about 3 weeks old.

Old McRonald likes this.
  4. Old McRonald

Old McRonald Chirping

Jun 15, 2018
    Glad it's back to normal and not another one! As I've gotten more comfortable with my candling skills if it doesn't look right it's gone. A good quality candler is crucial for that, after I got my Magicfly I gave away my old one, it was slightly better than worthless! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: