1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leaking plastic and steel nipples Not from the connection to bucket

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nmahoney, Nov 20, 2013.

1. nmahoney

nmahoney New Egg

Jul 3, 2012
    Does the bucket have to hang perfectly straight/perpendicular in order for the nipples to not leak out of the bottom of the nipple where the chickens are suppose to peck and drink? If a nipple is not perpendicular to the bucket bottom will it leak (not from the threads, but, as above?

2. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Those nipples seal with a weight so if they are a little off they don't seal. I had the same problem. Now I use horizontal poultry watering nipples. They are spring loaded. have a rubber seal and don't leak. I bought mine on Ebay.

3. nmahoney

nmahoney New Egg

Jul 3, 2012
    Thank you. I'll look for those.horizontal spring-loaded ones.

4. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
  5. nmahoney

nmahoney New Egg

Jul 3, 2012
    Lon Oak: Thanks again. I ordered them. Sure will be great not having to hang the bucket up. And clean water instead of litter contaminated. I think many chicken owners would really be happier with this product. The old leaky nipples just ran over the pan I had beneath the bucket and wet all the litter. Love when something really works to make animal care a joy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by