Leaking poultry nipples @rrrgh!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by plantguy90, Feb 1, 2011.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    I got them from someone here on the forum, but its been a while and I lost his email. I drilled the 23/64 holes he recommended into 1" PVC, but they all leaked, and a couple of them cracked. Would silicone stop the leaks? I am frustrated as I am leaving on a trip and the last time we left the water duties to someone else a chicken dropped dead, probably from lack of water. Lots of teflon tape did not work!

2. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Was it Neil Grassbaugh? - if something is wrong I'm sure he can help. You can also try a small O ring at the base of the threads. I had trouble getting the threaded type to seal on a bucket and the O rings did the trick.

3. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Hey thanks, yes that was the name, it will help me get in touch with him, although there is nothing wrong with the nipples, its just that my 23/64 holes arent that clean. o-rings are a good idea, I will try that, but am out of time so its the back to the bucket for the next ten days.

4. DanLeaAnn7

DanLeaAnn7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    We used silicon caulk around holes. My husband did file the hole a bit before screwing in the nipple. They do leak but just a tiny bit, and a lot of that is at what angle the nipple is to the pipe. Those that were at 90 angle seem to leak the most. We are new to all this - and with the freeze expected tonight we did empty the buckets, (was afraid the pipe or nipple would freeze and crack) - Hope this helps in some way !

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Was it the nipple that cracked and leaked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by