Leaks in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Alethea, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Our coop is a converted wood store, surrounded on two sides by another wood bay and an outdoor workshop. It is spacious for our small flock and they are happy there. Our Oregon winter has caught up with us and there are a couple of leaks. They don't form puddles or drip, just seep in a couple of places, not on the chickens, their roost, food, nest box, water or grit plate. The question is whether this kind of leak will hurt the chickens. Repairing it would mean major structural changes. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    The question is, how far are you willing to go to keep those worries out of mind?

3. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Blue tarp on the roof until spring??

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Silicone caulk

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Better find it and fix it. I hate rotted wood. Just wait till some of it rots from the leak, then some really major structural repair will be needed.

7. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I agree with Ole Rooster. Fix it as best you can now and it will save you time and money in the future. a little quick fix now would be a lot better than major structural repair later.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Patch it if you can. Even a small leak can cause big problems pretty quickly. That kool seal stuff, my husband swears by it, LOL. I think he'd kool seal us for protection if he could!

9. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I can't tell whether it is the roof although the laws of physics would be a clue. One leak is from under the wall which joins it to the wood bay. The other is at a 90 degree join, kind of a shelf, adjacent to the workshop. I will pass on all the valuable information you've given. It's really helpful. Thank you.

10. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    If it isn't a bad leak I would try FlexSeal. It is the as seen on tv spray. Not sure where you are but you can get it at most places that carry as seen on tv products. I get it at walgreens down here. It is a spray so it is easy to get in small cracks without ripping apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by