1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leaky egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    One of my fizzle eggs is leaking a sticky substance, I candled it and cant tell for sure but there seems to be life in it (on its 15th day) or at least looks that way (I did not see movement just the shadow) the substance is brown and does not smell good [​IMG]

Should I toss the egg, what could it be? I dont see any crack or anything like that and it does not smell rotten, just yucky.

Is it ok to leave it in the bator or could it effect the other eggs in there?

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If it smells yucky, get it out of there!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Whether it smells or not I always toss any egg that's leaky.

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its getting ready to blow up and maybe destroy your whole hatch,, carefully grab it,, and get rid of it,, and DONT break it... [​IMG]

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I was advised to toss an oozing egg right away! It was about 2 days ago that I took it out. It had little spots of what looked like pine sap all over the egg, but it did not smell bad. I candled it (Day 10) and it also had life inside, but I did not want to risk it.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    leaky eggs = toss in trash !!! Get it out quick before it explodes !!!

Also if you feel the need to open the egg up to see whats inside, which is fine to do.... make sure you do it OUTSIDE !!!!

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... rules of thumb are 1) if it's weeping or 2) if it's smelly... toss it. If it's smelly, then it's very likely not going to hatch, but rather "pop"... [​IMG] And I wholeheartedly agree (as would my DH, since I've done it to him [​IMG] )... if you have to open it, do it outside... [​IMG]

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    lol so I was looking at other posts and then came back to this one and OMG. I ran upstairs and got the bomb egg out and into the trash. Now that crisis is adverted, THANKS SO MUCH, I am left wondering what exactly happens... do they just pop? whats inside when they do? why do they do this?

All I keep picturing is this little mini chicken dirty bomb [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Open it up and take a look, just make sure you do it outside !!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Open it up and take a look, just make sure you do it outside !!

[​IMG] Now, that's just downright mean, tempting them like that...

Imagine an egg that has been sitting in a nest, unattended, baking in the hot sun for weeks... months... [​IMG] Don't do it. Just toss it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by