Leaky incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2manyhats, Jun 16, 2008.

1. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I need help. New to this hatching thing. I've got an leaky incubator base. It's the little giant 9200. I don't see any holes, but the water is leaking out. Is there anything I can use to line the bottom so I can continue to use it? (No eggs in it now._

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Kimberly

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did you buy it new? It should have a little plastic liner to hold the water. The base does have holes in it for ventilation. Is it on a level surface? How much water did you put in it?

3. 2manyhats

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    No I bought it used, but even the ones I bought new don't have liners in the bottom. Can I line the bottom with plastic? I only filled the channels without the holes and it still leaked. Surface was level. My other two bators are fine.

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

instead of using the reservores(sp??) for the water, what about putting in a shallow dish for the water??

I use a measuring cup in one of my incubators and in the other one I have a coffee mug.

Just an idea....

5. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    when you use a cup or mug or something - do you worry about a baby chick flopping into them when they hatch out? I was trying to figure it out.

Louella

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No...They are tall enough that the chicks can't (or haven't) get into the dish....

Or at least here they haven't...
    I know my mom uses the same set up and has never in almost 15 years had a chick drown in the incubator.....

7. 2manyhats

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks for the great ideas. I'll put a shallow dish under the screen and see how that works.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by