Leaky incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2manyhats, Jun 16, 2008.

1. 2manyhats

2manyhats Songster

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I need help. New to this hatching thing. I've got an leaky incubator base. It's the little giant 9200. I don't see any holes, but the water is leaking out. Is there anything I can use to line the bottom so I can continue to use it? (No eggs in it now._

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Kimberly

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did you buy it new? It should have a little plastic liner to hold the water. The base does have holes in it for ventilation. Is it on a level surface? How much water did you put in it?

3. 2manyhats

2manyhats Songster

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    No I bought it used, but even the ones I bought new don't have liners in the bottom. Can I line the bottom with plastic? I only filled the channels without the holes and it still leaked. Surface was level. My other two bators are fine.

4. instead of using the reservores(sp??) for the water, what about putting in a shallow dish for the water??

I use a measuring cup in one of my incubators and in the other one I have a coffee mug.

Just an idea....

5. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    when you use a cup or mug or something - do you worry about a baby chick flopping into them when they hatch out? I was trying to figure it out.

Louella

6. Quote:No...They are tall enough that the chicks can't (or haven't) get into the dish....

Or at least here they haven't...
    I know my mom uses the same set up and has never in almost 15 years had a chick drown in the incubator.....

7. 2manyhats

2manyhats Songster

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks for the great ideas. I'll put a shallow dish under the screen and see how that works.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: