1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Learn from my error - it killed my pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myfester, Nov 18, 2011.

1. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    I made a fatal error with my young chickens and now my 3 month old beautiful, Polish pullet paid the price. I hope others learn from my poor judgement. My mistake...feeding layer formulated chicken feed too soon. I do start my chicks on Starter Feed, but they started getting into the adult feed a few weeks ago, and I didn't heed the warning that the calcium was too much for their body to handle. In the previous years, my chicks had gotten some of the adult feed and they turned out just fine. Well, yesterday morning, I found my sweet girl dead. I took her in for a necropsy study and the lab stated that it was kidney failure. She gently asked me about the type of feed I provide. She then told me that too much calcium in their diet can lead to kidney failure. Some chickens are not bothered by the excess calcium, but my one girl was. I am so worried now about the other pullet now. I don't know if it's too late for her. I feel sick that I did this.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I am so sorry to hear this. It reinforces the arguments about when the feed store guy said they could eat anything...
    And people don't really bother to research the topic.
    I hope your other baby is ok. I'm sorry.

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry that happened to you [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

You could switch to an all flock type feed and have oystershells on the side for calcium. This type of feed is what I feed so then chicks, pullets, hens, cockerels and roosters can all eat the same diet without worry.

Good for you - finding out just what DID happen to her.

[​IMG]

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

AWwww!! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. [​IMG]

6. myfester

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Quote:Do the younger ones try to eat the oystershells? Or do the big girls just KNOW they need it and eat it as needed? I do have quite a mix of chickens here...8 laying hens, 3 adult roosters, 1 non laying old hen, a week-old chick, 1 3-month old pullet, and 2 more 3-month old roosters (yes, I am plagued with roosters that I can't seem to get rid of)

I totally appreciate your help. [​IMG]

7. HorseFeatherz NV

It really is amazing........all the birds eat a bit of it, as they all need some calcium for bone growth and proper muscle development. So young ones eat a small amount and pullets/hens who are laying eat a much larger amount.

I have even seen my roosters - in different flocks - call the layers over to the oystershells and encourage them to eat.

Are you opposed to eating your extra roosters?

8. myfester

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Quote:- I may have to consider (after a while when my other young ones have a chance to recover. Don't know if they can recover fully from kidney damage) changing to "flock raiser" with the oystershell supplement.

- As far as eating my roos...well, they're not really "meat" chickens (1 is a bantam cochin, 1 silkie, 2 polish, 1 bantam cochin/plymouth rock mix), PLUS I have NO idea how to "dress" them. My hubby used to do it years and years ago and says it's a pain in the butt. He really doesn't want to deal with it. The chickens are MY hobby, he keeps out of it...hehehe.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

I am not sure on the recovery either.

But even if they are not "meat" cockerels or roosters - there usually is enough to use. I do understand tho, that many cannot even think about eating pets or birds they have raised. [​IMG] I raise a couple colors of bantam cochins and do process my extra birds. But again, understand it is not for everyone.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't start layer till the first egg.
    Commercially they start at about 18 weeks and sometimes lose lots of birds. Research shows that acidifiers in the feed help alleviate the kidney problem. That's a good reason for us backyarders to add ACV to the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by