learning about chickens, care & cruelty (long)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by homecatmom, Sep 12, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

After reading about some of you getting rescue chickens that have been debeaked etc. I embarked on a research afternoon surfing the internet for information on commercial hatcheries and egg production farms. I AM SO SAD! I cannot believe some of the things that go on. In my mind, I knew they couldn't be very nice and friendly place, but to actually read, see pictures and the videos stunned me. I don't see how people can work in those places. I do not think that I will ever eat a commercial egg again. My birds will live a life in my yard that will include simple things, like room to spread their wings, dust bathe, eat and drink whenever they want. They will also get hugs and treats and if ill, they will get doctored. Another thing that got me thinking was the fact that when I requested pullets, the roos don't make money for them and get dumped. The only way to avoid helping these places is to hatch my own eggs or deal with people locally rather that the chicken-mill people. I may not consider my chickens as pets, but they are living creatures and will be treated with kindness and compassion.

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I hear you. My DH loves eggs and now that we have 2 (out of 23 pullets) laying we will not buy store bought ever again. I've also talked my family into getting their eggs from me instead of giving their money to those terrible factory farms.

I too will not buy chicks from a hatchery either. All my chicks from now on will be hatched and raised by a hen or bough from local people on craigslist or something. It kills me to know what they do to "unwanted" baby roos.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    When you hatch your own, what do you plan to do with your extra roos?? Or are you only gonna hatch the pullet eggs so you dont have extra roos?? [​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:If I hatched out roos I would find them good homes. I'm planning (I don't know if my girls will go along with this) on not letting a broody hatch any until I get my 20 acres farther out in the country in about 2-3 years. When I have my 20 acres I can have all the chickens and roos that I want.

I wouldn't toss a baby roo into a dumpster like hatcheries do.

5. homecatmom

Quote:This I have thought about! Since we are not allowed roosters here, they can live and play and enjoy till they crow, then I will eat them. They will not be wasted, nor will they be mistreated and thrown in a trash bin to be smashed and disposed of. I have been following the post on culling your flock and making notes.

6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Quote:Oh MDBUCKS!!! When your hen lays eggs, you take out and eat every second egg, that way you're eating the ROO eggs and the pullet eggs will be hatched by mom!

7. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    My vet actually chuckled behind my back to my mother in law because she has never met someone with a pet chicken as tame as "Bonsai" my serama rooster. He just loves car rides and helping type on the computer. Oh and yes he does live right here next to my desk with my cockatiel and dove [​IMG] He is the ultimate alarm clock!!

8. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also talked my family into getting their eggs from me instead of giving their money to those terrible factory farms.

Southernchick, you had to talk your family into getting your eggs?? [​IMG]

I have Family and Friends lined up on getting my chicken eggs. Not sure if my eight Girls will ever be able to produce for the demand we have knocking on our door!!​

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Southernchick, you had to talk your family into getting your eggs?? [​IMG]

I have Family and Friends lined up on getting my chicken eggs. Not sure if my eight Girls will ever be able to produce for the demand we have knocking on our door!!

I have some ignorant family members (on DH's side [​IMG] ) who believe that chickens raised on a farm a filthy diseased birds and factory hens are clean and produce better eggs. And since I have a roo they don't want to eat a baby chick that's growing inside of the egg. [​IMG]

10. homecatmom

Quote:Just tell them that they CAN'T be fertile. Lt.Col. BokBok leaves his "joy juice" on their backs!!! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by