Learning curve for backyard quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Danny C., Jan 12, 2018.

1. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    I purchased 20 bobwhites from a game farmer. 4 cocks and 16 hens. They are 6 months old and had been kept in 75+ degree barn, but have not done well in my backyard 8’x5’ chicken coop. Lost 6 I think to elements and 1 to internal fighting. Temps from 20 to 60 degrees. Looking for guidance. Thanks!

007Sean likes this.
  2. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    They should not be dying in those temperatures. I have only had one weather-related death in -43 C weather (-45 F).
    What kind of housing are they in?
    Fencing? What is used to contain them? Pictures?
    What are they given for feed?
    How high is the roof?

3. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Thank you for replying.
    Roof is 6’ high. The picture shows with heat lamp in coop. Figured weather factor because birds raised in 75+ degree barn. Was surprised when I had read were very hardy birds, went out to feed after work and 6 dead. Feed Wildgame bird 30% protein and Groovy Scratch. ( all from feed and seed store) hope picture attaches:

Attached Files:

007Sean likes this.
  4. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... raising them in such a warm area would be the issue, although generally quail are some of the hardiest birds out there. Keep a heat lamp on them, and deepen the bedding. You may have to suffer a few harsh losses if they lived in such a warm area their whole life.

Danny C. likes this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    How are you watering them? Droppings in their water can cause serious illness, like intestinal enteritus.

6. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Are they acting odd? Are they all huddled under the lamp? Did you allow them to acclimate to the outside temperatures? If they went straight from a heated barn to having to deal with 20 degree temps that could explain why they couldn’t handle it. They have to be given a chance to get used to the change.

Danny C. and 007Sean like this.
  7. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks for question, I am using a plastic container with lid and holes cut on sides to stick heads in. When frozen a couple mornings I empty and put fresh water. Same with feed container also. I change water every couple of days.

8. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Too new at this to know if acting odd, but finding that they were not going up ramp at night into the coop where heat lamp is, I took a suggestion from a chicken breeder and caught them at night putting in coop and closing door to get them use to being in there. Then open in morning and let them walk out down to pen. Figured they would get the idea of it. Started doing that after lost the 6.

9. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Well quail are a ground dewelling bird. A lot of folks have trouble getting them to use ramps. If they were completely without the heat lamp for those first nights then I would say it was defiently the cold. Keep putting them in the coop at night and slowly reduce the heat. That will allow them to acclimate and then they can handle the cold.

Danny C. likes this.
  10. Danny C.

Danny C. Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Thank you! Yes they were without heat since didn’t think needed just yet until. Will continue as I am then and put a trail camera in coop this morning to see if they are going in at all during the day.
    Appreciate the comments from all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: