Learning Process

muscovy573

Chirping
Dec 21, 2016
Update:

After losing all 10 of my first ducklings to some very dumb things I should of been aware of, I took another approach and it has worked WONDERFULLY! I have (3) month old ducks I just set out in a pen (will get pictures to add tonight, my phone was dead) and (4) week old ducklings.

Originally, I let the first mom to go broody keep the ducklings thinking all would fare well. I was wrong. They got through the fence in some places and my parents dog ate a majority of them and the 3 that lived, my male killed. :( Still not entirely sure what the deal was but i can only contribute it to them being in too small of a pen for all that activity and i decided to make a brooder for the second mommas ducklings. It worked great! the only issue was the first momma hid some of her eggs in the second ones nest and i missed them. Thus the month old and week old differences. Luckily I had another pen to put the month olds while i worked on their outdoor pen.

This is my brooder set up:
a.jpeg
b.jpeg

Bought a plastic tote and had some screening left for a cut out for the light. Plenty of room to walkaround, easy to clean/heat and the water/feed fit great as well. Im thinking of building a larger one down the road as 4 of these birds at a month old was too much and they ended up makng a mess of things. I did add in screws and attached wires on both ends of the feed pan to adjust the height as needed.

Since these guys moved in, i moved the big guys to a small rabbit hutch for a few days:
q.jpeg

Again, a bad stroke of luck, one of the ducklings died so now i have (3) month olds.

These are the (4) babies in the brooder:
k.jpeg

Here are the parents:

u.png

As stated before, I am in the slow process of building a coop for the trio and kids to be able to free range. Its a slow process because I am not made of money and as of lately time either, but I am doing the best I can with what I do have! I will upload a photo of the 3 month olds in their new outdoor pen this evening after work. I'm hoping to transfer the parents to it from time to time to allow them to get out on some fresh grass!

Thanks for looking!

Some where in the family I suspect. I got 2 barred females ducklings once and never have had a barred Muscovy I guess it similar to having a red haired child when no one in the family is redhaired Except maybe Great great grandpa.
Ironically the brown was ny next gene to add in BUT i guess its already there! :D

Back
Top Bottom