Learning so much already

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elliesaurus, Jan 22, 2017.

1. elliesaurus

elliesaurus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    I've wanted chickens since I was a kid, and I was lucky enough to fall in love with a guy who grew up around them and wanted some of his own. We've got 14 in our brooder, and even though they're only a week old their personalities are starting to develop! It's funny to see which ones eyeball me when I go in to change their water and refill their food, or which ones squat to poop and which ones don't care and just crap on themselves. Weve had some surprises, like a fuzzy-footed pair I thought were australorps but maybe are really Marans, who go everywhere around the brooder together and are super curious (or super wary?) about everything going on outside the walls. They streeeeeeetch their necks up whenever I get close or pick them up. The Unexpected Lavenders I got are total scaredycats that screech like little banshees at the slightest disturbance, and our suspected roo is totally chill. I'm really glad I'm enjoying them so far, and I hope I continue to as they get older. :D

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey elliesaurus

Your little ones sound adorable! I like to say they have ‘chickenalities’ [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh, you've been captured heart and soul already, my friend! [​IMG]

Those little buggers will have your number in no time, and they'll be referring to you as "staff". You will know it's really curtains when the twerps start cleaning their messy, food smeared beaks on your sleeve.

You will then have to admit that this is your calling.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

[​IMG]

5. elliesaurus

Jan 18, 2017
    It's pretty crazy to see their temperaments developing already. It makes waiting to see exactly "what" they are a little more bearable (I HATE waiting). Do yall have any suggestions on how I can keep them from fleeing in "SHE'S GONNA EAT ME" terror every time we walk up to the brooder? I think they're still a little young for treats, so I'm not exactly sure how I can bribe them. Once I can actually hold them they're fine and calm and not panicked, but I'm worried I'm stressing them too much trying to socialize them. Also, today is their one week birthday. A few have pokey little butt feathers, but most are still covered in just fuzz. : P

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you are reaching down to handle the chicks from above them, that can trigger a panic response because they have an instinct to fear predators from the sky. Try approaching the chicks from the side. You will notice a world of difference.

This is one reason why I stopped brooding my chicks indoors in a box. I now brood in the run in a special pen that's so large, I can get in there with my chicks and play with them. They are able to climb all over me and it's great fun for chicks and me, too.

See my article on outdoor brooding for pictures of what my setup looks like, as well as some of my earlier side-access brooders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...rooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors

7. elliesaurus

Jan 18, 2017
    @azygous

I would love to brood my guys outdoors, but it still regularly gets down into the low 20s here, with very wet weather that causes constant ice "glazes". We had a big puddle in the backyard freeze solid the day before the chicks shipped, and when we broke it up, the ice was over two inches thick. We're still super new at raising baby chicks, and I don't want to risk losing them to soggy, icy conditions if I can help it. :c I will definitely keep your handling advice in mind though; that sounds like a "d'oh" thing that I...really hadn't considered, lol. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by