Learning to eat slugs!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pastiche, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Pastiche

Pastiche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    A vid of my three hens (Sicilian Buttercup, White Maran, and Gold Cuckoo Maran) trying out slugs. Makes the egg yolks nice and orange, and keeps my garden slug free. If I can convince all of them they are yummy. (They absolutely refuse worms so far.)[​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh how adorable! Oh and I just wanted to mention, it seems like you have a 2 Marans, and a Easter Egger <3

3. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    Thanks! I love them! Actually, I'm sure the orange chicken is a Sicilian Buttercup. She's getting the characteristic comb that is like a little crown. And she's small and feisty and likes to fly up onto things. And she's also a friendly little lap chicken.

4. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    Cascadia River, I just noticed at the bottom of your reply that you have a Sicilian buttercup too! What a great mix of chickens!!

5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah ours is pretty great! I just don't think yours is a buttercup though, she seems pretty sweet and you do have a gorgeous mix of birds, prettier then most of mine XD She seems to show more characteristics of a Easter Egger than a Buttercup though with the body shape, earlobes, comb and does she have feathered feet? If anything she kinda reminds me of a buff brahma.

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Buttercups are a Mediterranean breed and are medium sized and skinny and have surprising spurs on the ladies! And they should have the full coverage of spotting like our little lady here <3
    [​IMG]
    They also have unfeathered legs/feet where yours seem to have feathers? :O Shes really pretty and I wish more of our birds had lightly feathered legs like hers <3 I hope our tiny maran mix chick will have leg feathers like that when shes an adult :3

7. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    She's definitely gotten chubbier recently. I have a friend with 7 easter eggers, and they seem so different! And I"ve never seen an easter egger with that little round crown, like a flower. Here is what she looked like at 15 weeks. So you think she's a buttercup easter egger mix perhaps?

[​IMG]

8. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    She could also be a Brahma Easter Egger Mix, because of the feathered legs, because Easter Eggers nor Buttercups have feathered legs though she may have a long mixed lineage! I know some of my girls do! Looking at the younger picture of her I would probably call her a Brahma, the feathered legs and peacomb plus the colour make it pretty plain to see though the black penciling colour is not usually a Brahma trait, though is super common in Easter eggers. I do love her little comb though <3 Out ladies that have peacombs have really Tiny peacombs and hers is large and gorgeous! if she was going to eventually have a buttercup comb (its really called that XD) it would have been noticeable on day one, baby buttercups are pretty funny at the feedstore though :3 Hard not to buy more XD

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwww! Now that they know slugs are delicious, they will be back! [​IMG] I was outside changing the kiddie pool for the duck, and the water made a small puddle in the dirt, up came a mole cricket. I was like, oh hi there, then one of the girls came right over and picked it up and ran away before the others found out! [​IMG] Once they know the tasty stuff is there, watch out!! Thanks for sharing.

10. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    Or no, maybe not mixed with an EE. Her eggs are smallish and always ivory/creamy white, never blue or green or anything interesting like that. She's smaller than the others, but started laying first - almost a month earlier than the white maran. I see what you mean about her coloring after looking at the Buff Brahma pictures. She matches that coloring better than the Buttercup pictures Brahmas seem to be huge stately chickens. She's littler than the others and is definitely the alpha. She demands the most attention, eats first, up and down the ramp first. Though she doesn't peck them. When she's laying eggs, the marans hang around under the egg box and look kind of lost without her. She's an interesting chicken (not that I"ve had much experience!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by