Learning to roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clickncluck, Apr 27, 2011.

1. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    When will my chicks learn to roost and stop sleeping in a pig pile getting all poopy? THey are 7 1/2 weeks now and have had exposure to a roost since day 5-6. They definitely stand on it during the day?

2. Garrison

Garrison Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Do you have a light on them? I raised my light over the roost and they started using it. Probably trying to stay warm.

3. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    No light. They are outside now. But they live in Hawaii. So generally 75 is as cold as it gets right now.

4. SheilaTheBrave

SheilaTheBrave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Quote:aHA! Maybe that's what mine are trying to learn how to do! When they go into the coop for the night they spent a good 30 minutes pushing and shoving one another around all 4 trying to fit on the same 6" section of the 4 foot long roost. They fall off, sqawk at one another, wings flap and they get all loud....then they settle down and start it all over again!

5. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:I have always wanted to come to Hawaii. You just made me want to be there even worse!

6. calliecutiepie

calliecutiepie Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2010
    :lol:None of mine will roost either but what they will do is all 5 sit on the lip I placed at the door of the coop to keep the shaving from falling out and watch the night world go by. They're 6 weeks old, It's too cute. My husband thinks he figured out why they do this. We have an electric pole with a light on it and they can see out into the backyard. Going to have to get a picture to show you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by