Learning to use the egg box - SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blinkyfish, Aug 2, 2011.

1. blinkyfish

blinkyfish Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    MLT, Washington
    One of my hens (Silver-Laced Wyandotte, 20 weeks) started laying before I had the nest boxes complete. I found a little pile of eggs in the corner of their coop. I finished the egg boxes and hoped thats he would change her mind about laying out in the open. Nope. For the next few days she used the same corner. Just when I thought that there was no hope, inspiritation struck. I put a brick in the corner that she used, and the next morning found her in the nest box. Perfect!

2. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes it just takes a brick! [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. blinkyfish

blinkyfish Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    MLT, Washington
    Come to think of it, I've used bricks to help with a lot of chicken issues. Bricks helped them to not spill their food, keeps them from digging under their run, and now it got them to use the nesting boxes. Perfect. If I had meat chickens I might recommend another use...

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:ROFL!

6. BC Williams

BC Williams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    My Ohio chickens were free range, which meant I never knew where they were going to lay:)
    When I'd find a spot, I'd wait until the hens disappeared and snatch the eggs, but you can bet
    your willies they didn't lay there the next day!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by