leash train your goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hensplease, Dec 31, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    ive already started leash training there 7 weeks has any body else did this?

2. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    We always started very young too. When we bottle fed them we would put on a collar and lead them into the shed to eat, then back to their little pen.

3. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    can u walk them like dogs when they get older

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I need to start this soon. My little kid is getting skittish. He's only 2.5 weeks old though, so I have time.

5. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I've leashed trained older goats too. You put the leash on them and walk away...and eventually they learn to walk on it. [​IMG]

And yes, they can learn to walk like dogs. I walked my little doe Rudy to and from my neighbor's house (about half a mile each way) to be bred by her buck. She walked along very nicely, and only stopped a couple of times to grab a bite to eat.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My lder 4 goats are very skittish! I wonder if they could still be trained. I know the 2 little does could, but I doubt the older doe will like a leash....AT ALL! She hated it when we came home with her.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Starting them young is a great idea! I had an all black miniature lamancha doe that my granddaughter took trick or treating one year. She dressed as a milk maid. It looked real cute, but the granddaughter said never again. The goat was very good, but she didn't get much trick or treating done because people kept stopping her to pet the goat. In fact, people were running out of their houses with carrots to feed the goat. Cars were stopping to get a second look....lol. [​IMG]

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for this post. I was wondering the same thing. I've recently gotten 2 pygmy does, and I'd like to be able to walk them around. I guess I'll just have to put a leash on them and give it a shot!!

Sonja

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I taught all of mine to lead as soon as possible.. But i did get a few adults and it wasnt hard.. I like the short leads used for some show dogs as the goat practicly has to walk up against your leg.. It worked great on all 10 of mine from the Pygmies to the Nubians... We even taught a few to pull a cart for the kiddies...

10. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    My alpine wether is leash trained. I got him when he was two days old. At 9 months old he is just like a dog. I actually took him and my two dogs in to get their picture taken with Santa. Now my new doe I got today is not. She is a 2 1/2 year old fainter doe that is pregnant. So I am hoping I can still leash train her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by