Leasing township property

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by KearsargeCoop, Nov 14, 2016.

1. KearsargeCoop

KearsargeCoop New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    Keweenaw
    Greetings! Not sure if I put this in the correct spot, and if it isn't, Mod's feel free to move it.

Here's the scoop. I live in a rural area, but I'm part of a township that years ago put in a municipal wastewater system. Now, the way this system works is it's essentially a huge drain field. The 8 of us on our block have 1000 gallon holding tanks, tied to a pump system that then disperse to this very large mound drain field. And the next block over (a quarter mile away) has the same exact system, with about 15 houses tied into it.

My question to you all is, how do I approach my township about leasing this land to do pastured poultry on it? Both drain fields combined is about 3 acres of land, and they do keep it more or less brush hogged all summer long.
    This land is not adjacent to my piece of property, but it is close enough that tending to tractors would not be an issue.

Who do I talk to first? Township supervisor? Who do I pitch this idea to a group of people that may not be at all familiar with the idea of pastured poultry...and would never pay for such a thing either.

I would hope eventually to be able to tie something like this into a class for the local high school, or even the general public. I don't have a game plan for that drawn up yet, and maybe I need to do that before approaching the township.

Cheers ahead of time! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Marc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by