Least cruel way to handle broody hen - for someone going vegan?

ilovethechickns

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Carstairs, AB
I am completely heartbroken and worried about what is the "right" thing to do. I am reaching out for your opinions - the good, the bad, the ugly, the who cares, whatever. Whatever you think. Just bear this in mind: I want what's best for the chickens, for animals, for life itself.

I am going vegan ("veganizing") primarily due to my belief that animals are not mine to use and exploit and own and breed. I have rescue chickens who lay eggs. I have a rescue rooster as well, so likely, the eggs are fertilized. I do not currently have space to house the rooster separately from the hens, although, had I seen this coming, I would have surely figured something out to keep the eggs unfertilized.

Here's the thing: a hen has gone broody (first time ever) and usually, I have been eating some of the eggs, and feeding some back to the chickens. But now that she's sitting on the eggs, I can't bear to take these eggs away. In fact, I believe at least one other hen is in on the clutch.

Some eggs are going missing (likely being eaten by mama or other chickens). I would rather not breed little chickens, as this means I can't rescue as many. But "abortion" by taking her eggs away seems cruel too. She really seems to want to be a mama!

This is more about letting her be a mama, than about the eggs or egg-eating desire of mine (which isn't that strong, btw).

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What's the least cruel way to handle this? What is the best thing to do for a vegan-ish person who rescues chickens and just wanted company for the rooster? (wish I could sterilize the dude)

I was vegetarian (not vegan, but no flesh) for 15 years, so believe me, I get it.
My sister and I both have chickens; I have a rooster but she doesn't. Both of us have had broody hens, so don't beat yourself up about the boy's presence; her hens go broody from time to time WITHOUT a guy around.
Re: broody behavior and her wanting to be a mama - my chickens will sometimes give me a good peck when I'm collecting eggs, but once I have them, or once they leave the nest, it's like out of sight, out of mind. My animals (chickens, goats and cats) live in paradise, I believe. They are fed, cared for, nurtured, have social time spent with them, groomed, and watched over like children. I do my very best to see that they don't suffer unnecessarily (i.e. can't do much about two feet of snow, but I CAN keep the heat light on and clean their quarters every day.) I really don't believe taking eggs is the same as taking a live baby from them. Of course they have the instinct to protect their eggs, and sit on them; but when the stimulus is removed, the behavior is usually extinguished. I have two hens who go broody now and then, and I send them to "chicken jail", which is a large dog crate up on bricks so they have air under their backsides, not a cozy nesting box. They have food and water in the crate, it's placed in the shade (in summer) and out in the yard where the other chickens mill around so they have company. It takes maybe a day; rarely two, to convince them broody isn't fun. In fact, I worry more about their health when they *are* broody. They won't leave the nest for days, and become very thin and haggard looking, and their feathers are lackluster. Given the choices, I'll send them to "chicken jail" rather than watch that happen.

As the caretaker for your chickens, I guess you will be faced with some dilemmas like this from time to time. I would suggest keeping in mind your primary goal, which you say is helping as many chickens as you can. Since this means not breeding more chickens, then preventing the clutch from hatching makes sense. Keep in mind that hens can actually go broody even without any eggs to sit on. I have had hens sit in the empty nest box during the hormone induced broodieness, and then they snap out of it after a few weeks.

If you let her hatch any eggs, you would also have to think about how you would help the mother hen protect the chicks from the other adult chickens in the coop.

You could consider this similar in reasoning to how people with cats and dogs get them spayed or neutered - the procedure is somewhat invasive for the individual animal but it is very beneficial for cat and dog populations overall.

If you'd prefer that she be allowed to sit on "eggs" but not have babies, you could replace them at night with golf balls. Or you could send her to "chicken jail" to break her of her broodiness. The first may upset her less, and she will give up eventually. But she'd lose some weight with the first method, since broodies don't eat much. The second method might be more upsetting for her, but better to her health. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. But since you do want to rescue the most chickens possible, definitely pick one of these options. And go easier on yourself! It will be okay. :)

Had you been eating the eggs before she went broody? I ask because a fertilized egg is the same regardless of whether or not a hen feels like sitting. Officially, if you collect the eggs soon after they are laid they won't "take" and it would be just like it was before. No "chicken abortion."

Now, I don't mean to say that I disagree with other ideas posted. Both suggestions would work. You did ask for all types of opinions & that's mine. I have a broody who is sitting on 5 eggs. I marked them all. Every day her sister goes in and lays an egg. When Fattie steals it, I just reach under her & grab the unmarked egg. It doesn't stay warm long enough to develop anything.

I think it's great that you want to rescue as many chickens as possible. Which ever route you choose, just trust it and go for it. You're doing a great thing here.

You lovely people are tremendously helpful and thoughtful and encouraging! Wow!
hugs.gif

I've decided that at this time, I would only be endangering or neglecting chicks or chickens if I let them hatch.
I have decided it's okay to take away her eggs (she is very docile and doesn't seem to mind too much).
When I take them away, I also lift her out of the nest and put her near the food, and she eats, and then she heads to the watering dish.
So her health is not declining.
I will have to construct a "chicken jail" as soon as possible, so this is over sooner.
Thank you so much everyone. I'm really feeling the love!
love.gif

P.S. The broody's name used to be Fatty - now it's Toes (she is missing most of her claws so she has cute pudgy toes). I had to laugh when I saw that another chicken keeper had named one of her hens Fattie.
tongue.png

Yes. Fattie is my broody hen. Her sister's name is Pattie. They have a brother named Willis. Maggie & Molly & Agnes all turned into roosters, but we haven't changed their names. Thankfully the other chickens don't pick on them for having girlie names.

Update: This morning when I opened up the coop and put feed outside, Toes flew right on out of her nest to eat. There weren't any eggs laid yet today, but still, I sense a renewed vigor in her and a desire to participate in non-broody behavior. A good sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom