Least Stinky Coop and Run Option

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grettasurfergirl, Jun 25, 2019.

1. grettasurfergirl

grettasurfergirl In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    Solana Beach, CA
    Back again! Still have no idea what I am doing! Chicks are 7 weeks yesterday so tonight will (hopefully) be their first night out in the coop. I have sand for the run but there is another area under the coop which is like a covered run. I can’t get in there all that easily to sift sand with a scooper like I’m doing on the open run part. What is the least stinky / easiest to clean poop management option for this area??? Lady at the feed store said to use pine shavings lightly and then rake them out and replace when they get too smelly. Is this the best option? The floor is dirt and this area is about 7’ x 3’ or so. I don’t really understand the deep litter method even though I have read about it.... how does that not smell? Thank you for any advice!!!

2. Amc29

Amc29 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    SW Oregon
    I do the deep litter method for my whole run and it made a huge difference in smell (I have ducks with my chickens and they leave a stronger odor about). Basically yard clippings of all different sizes get tossed in there. I am not 100% sure, but I believe something to do with the composting of everything is what helps eliminate the odor. For my run set up, it also helped a lot with the muddiness that happens in the winter. I am not sure if it would work well for that underneath bit you are talking about. It depends on how easy it is for you to access to toss the clippings/debris in. If the chickens go under there, they will be able to do a decent job of spreading them out for you since they like scratching through all of it.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have a prefab coop? It can be difficult to manage litter in a smaller unit. The wood shavings isn't a bad idea, but will need to be cleaned out regularly, probably at least once a month if not more, depending on weather and poop load and if you spot clean or not.

Deep litter works by composting the poop but I don't know if it'll work in a smaller set up, as the amount of poop can easily become overwhelming. It would work better in your actual run if you're using one instead of free ranging.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. grettasurfergirl

grettasurfergirl In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    Solana Beach, CA
    Ok thank you! Yes it is a prefab coop so tough to get under it. But I think I could handle once a month taking it out and replacing the pine. Do I just keep adding more pine on top when it gets too gross??

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I was doing a full cleanout whenever it got dirty enough to warrant it (I used to have a prefab) - adding more shavings only helps to a certain point, because it's not actually doing anything to absorb or break down the poop. During wet weather it may require a lot more cleanouts vs dry weather... if it's dry maybe you can stretch it to 6 weeks for example, but if it's very wet maybe only a week or two at most. If you can smell it, it needs to be cleaned.

aart and grettasurfergirl like this.
  6. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    Most of their pooping is done at night on the roost...

DLM (basically deep woodchips) works because the droppings get buried and decompose.

FWIW...Chicken runs tend not to smell unless they're poorly drained or otherwise extremely concentrated. I simply periodically dump a load of dry leaves from the yard in there or otherwise pine shavings or straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: