Leather eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gjoyner, Sep 28, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a leathery squishy egg on the roost! its my first! i found another one in the garden a couple days later. i've had oyster shells out for weeks now and they dont touch them. how do I get them interested in calcium?
    gotta get me some hard eggs!

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Ha! They should straighten out soon. They probably get enough calcium right now from their layer feed and don't need much extra. They will only eat a teeny amount of oyster shell at a time, so you might not even realize they are eating any.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Calcium is also found in dairy products and dark leafy greens. I also don't think my hens touch the oyster shell, so I occasionally give them cheese, greens or sprinkle powdered milk on their food. Mrs. Puff is correct that they will straighten out soon, if they are young.

Good luck,

Imp- I don't know why I keep buying oyster shell though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

They just turned 20 weeks. I have a sneaky suspicion its the RIR thats lyaing these little "weird" eggs.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I wouldn't be to concerned about the soft shelled eggs. It is quite common with young birds and should correct it's self soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by