Leather like egg shell

chicken farmer meigs

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Florence Mt.
I have a seven young hens that are starting to lay. I am getting an egg thats shell is like leather, not hard shelled like the rest. THis egg is from a barred rock or a golden sex link. It has happened now four or five time. They are on layer pellet with oster shell mixed into the food and a small tray of shell on the side. I was wondering if any one else has had this promblem before, Or if any one knows what might be done to fix this? I would hate to cull such a young hen.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Guess you are going to have to watch them a little closer to find out which one is laying them like this... or find out if there is some liquid calcium you can put into the water. Tums?

The first couple of eggs I got were all odd ball like that - soft shell, some that looked like ALL the shell was in a KNOT on one end, really funny looking..

The little girls are working out their systems, it will straighten out soon!

Thank you for your help. I cought the hen today that is laying this weird egg. She is a New Hampshire my only one. I thought for sure it was one of my other birds. I watched here leave the egg on a shelf in the coop and not in the egg boxes. This is where I have found the other eggs. todays egg is # 6 about how long will it take for her to lay a real egg? I know nothing about the New Hampsire breed it was a trade for a Bantan Rooster. Are they a good breed?

sad.png
I'm not sure - I had only a couple of weird eggs like that - then they were normal but small for a while. perhaps she's not eating properly - do the others keep her from eating or anything?

Back
Top Bottom