"leather-shelled" eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carriagedriver, Nov 13, 2008.

1. carriagedriver

carriagedriver Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    TX
    I have a hen laying very soft-shell type eggs. A friend asked if I fed my hens styrofoam, that it would prevent having soft shells. I know chickens will eat styrofoam, but did not consider it a safe practice to let them.....

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

There is a ton of great info about soft shelled eggs. In fact, a search turns up tons of info: Soft Shell Eggs

Take a look at those posts and perhaps something there will help? If not, just reply to one of those threads or reply here.

And [​IMG]

3. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Welcome carriagedriver! I would suggest that you post this in the egglaying forum, but it's just too easy for me to answer right now. DO NOT feed your chickens styrofoam, please. Most likely, your hen is low on calcium. She needs oystershell, or you can roast eggshells and feed those to her. If this doesn't help, please repost in the egglaying forum. [​IMG]

4. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I wouldnt feed them styrofoam. Wonder where she read that.
    Add some oyster shell to here feed/pen. That should help with the calcium and make the egg shells be harder.
    Also sometimes new layers will have shells like this, earlier this year I had a hen lay an egg without a shell once. Pretty weird!

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Might be starting to molt?

6. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    They aren't getting enough grit to make eggs. Buy some crushed oyster shell or granite grit (with iron oxide if possibe). Use a vienna sausage can and hang it inside their pen where it will be acessible 24/7 for them. Calcium is their teeth to chew and also what makes the egg shell. Not enough calcium will cause them to lay soft shell egggs of inferior quality and they will not be able to digest food well. One other thing is to sprinkle some "Canary Grit" over one feeding every two or three days until their eggs improve quality. canary grit until you can find so crushed shell or granite grit will work. jmo:)

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Most feed stores carry oyster shell. It will fix the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by