1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leatherman recommendations??? For a girl?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kansaseq, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Ok, I'm hearing more about these Leatherman tools, but there are a bunch! Which one should I get? I HATE having to lug out a bunch of tools to tighten a screw or something. Any suggestions?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    For our leather anniversary, DH got me a micra. I might go for one of the squirts. They're tiny little things, but I do have access to tool staches most of the time.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    This is my main tool: http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=6&f=6&c=1
    You
    can get them for around $100.

I've seen the Wave for around half that. The finish is less but the functionality is the same.
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=9&f=6&c=1

These aren't regular pocket knives. They are works of machining art and have a good warranty. I snapped the blade on mine and they replace it free.

Don't forget a good matching light:
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=79&f=18&c=4

Gerber makes a nice knife for a LOT less. I had several $20 multitools that I killed, broke or just fell apart.

5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Those look great, but they're pricey. Guess you get what you pay for, though. Thanks for the suggestions !
    Just checked out the wave, which looks good. Might be a nice gift for my dad (who loves tools).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I didn't buy mine... It was a gift from work. And boy oh boy do I love it!

7. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Wow, the array of models is dizzying. It would be really convenient to have one of those to carry with me in my purse. I have a nice pocket knife that goes everywhere with me. Best thing my old bf ever got for me [​IMG]

8. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    What about the Gerber multi tools? Are they any good?

9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:actually that's what mine is [​IMG] An expensive knock off! Leatherman was the original, but I love Gerber's line of knives and my old boss knew it so ... [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:You get what you pay for. Both Leatherman and Gerber offer $30 knives that are worth every penny and they both have $100 knives. If you are going to carry it on you all the time then spend the cash on a good one. If not, a $30 model is fine.

Stay way from the cheap ones at Home Depot and Lowes. I wasted $20 on a few knives and then stepped right up to my Charge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by