1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Leathery" chicken butt...maybe skin cancer? Pics attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopdevie, Dec 17, 2011.

1. coopdevie

coopdevie New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    All,

One of our three chickens (red star breed) has this leathery patch near her vent. The patch is thick, dark red/brown in color, and tough. It's not scaly, and doesn't seem to hurt her when it's touched. The other chickens aren't pecking at her there, and she seems really perky and lively. The patch is about 1.5" in diameter, and seems to be spreading around her vent. Otherwise, her vent seems normal, and she's pooping and laying eggs just fine.

Pics below. Any ideas on this would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I believe you are seeing ammonia burns on her butt. I think if her butt is cleaned up and kept clean you will see a gradual fading of the color and an eventual healing of the skin. She may continue to have tougher skin there, but it shouldn't bother her.

Good luck.

3. coopdevie

coopdevie New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    Thank you! I think the amonia burn was it. It turns out the patch was a large scab. As the "burn" healed, the large scab came off naturally. She seems to be doing well!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by