LEAVE EGG UNDER HEN?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oldbuzzard, Jan 3, 2009.

1. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    i had a hen go broody. so i got sick of dragging her out all the time and got 4 fertile eggs. i stuck them under dec 15th. one survived without being broke. it solid dark when put up to the light, i hope there is a chick alive in there!! hatch time is almost here! should i leave it under the hen till it hatches ? this cold weather country. it was minus 3 the other night. thanks, Buzz

2. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Can you bring them both inside once the chick hatches??

3. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    i was going to set them up in brooding area with heat lamp.i guess im kinda thinking out loud on this one wondering if i should do it sooner.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Let her hatch the egg. She has a better chance of succeeding than us humans do. Let her brood the chick and do all the hard work. Just make sure there is some extra heat and plenty of chick starter and water nearby.

5. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    thanks. i felt she could do just fine. just worried about losing the chick. those orps tough when comes to cold weather!

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    She should be fine, I gave my broody some day olds back in Nov (it was cold then in NH) She kept them warm just like a good mama hen should !! I did put a heat lamp up a few feet above her and the chicks for a little while. It's so much easier to let a mama hen raise babies plus like MP said they are so much better at it then we are

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Where's Cuba, NY? I love town names like that. Near us is Florida, Mass, which is always especially apropos in winter, as it is all deep dark woods and frozen solid at the top of a gol-dang hill made of ice. Next to Peru, Mass, by the way.

8. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Quote:Kinda weird living in places like Paris, TN, being born in France, speaking a little French, and then having dh traveling to France on business. Weird?[​IMG]

9. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    far western part of the stateand just north PA line.

10. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    That is weird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by