leave eggs for hen to care for or take them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by palstring, Sep 12, 2011.

1. palstring

palstring New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    My hen has been laying on her eggs for about a week and a half when there done and hatched do i také them in the house or leave them alone for her

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Don't take them in the house unless you have the right set up. They need heat lamps or they will die. And if you leave them with ma, you will need to have her in a broody pen which is safe from predators and other chickens.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Letting her take care of them is the easiest way to raise baby chicks.

I keep my mama's and chicks isolated for about a week. This gives the chicks time to really learn about listening to moms clucks and what they mean. Then I introduce them to the flock. The mama will protect those chicks and everyone will learn pretty quick to stay away from those babies. Otherwise, if you bring them into the house, you are going to have to heat them, clean the pen constantly [​IMG], until they're around 4 weeks old. I've done that before and quickly realized, I prefer letting the mama have them. They seem to feather out quicker (in my opinion) when they're outside with the mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by