Leave it to momma?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6hensJen, May 19, 2019.

1. 6hensJen

6hensJen Chirping

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Hi all! I got my constantly broody buff Orpington four fertilized eggs, 2 copper maran and 2 cream legbar to make her dreams of being a mom come true. She has dutifully sat on the nest for 21 days and now I hear chirps coming from all four! I’ve read all sorts of things about hatching mostly from incubators. Should I just leave mom to take care of the whole process and leave it to nature? I don’t want any to suffocate but have seen the horrors of too early an intervention, how long should I wait to see a pip if they are chirping in there? I have read and read but it’s all so nail biting!!! Thanks

Ursuline Chick likes this.
  2. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Hands off! Mama has tjis!
    :barnie
    It's so hard right now, I know.
    :fl
    Fingers crossed for a successful hatch all across the board!

3. 6hensJen

6hensJen Chirping

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Thanks lol, it’s so nerve wracking! Will try just let her do her thing then

4. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    As you can tell, I just discovered the emoji...
    She will be a rockstar at this. The worst part is always letting her do it on her own, I think! Keep us posted!

6hensJen likes this.
  5. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Crossing the Road

Jul 21, 2017
    NOLA
    I have only helped once with a broody, she hatched 7 and got off the nest to take care of them, leaving one egg that had pipped. Took it inside and made a momma with a heating pad and damp paper towels. It worked, took most of the day and I ended up with a cockerel I could not keep. But it was worth it. Let Momma do her thing unless you end up with a situation like I did where the chick might not make it because Momma is too busy with the others. Relax and enjoy when they start hatching. Remember they are like all other babies, some are early, some hatch on time, others are late hatchers. :caf

6hensJen and ChickNanny13 like this.
  6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If the hen and the chicks are getting along why interfere?

chickens really and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. 6hensJen

6hensJen Chirping

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    I’m not looking to, this being my first time and her first time I would hate to lose any due to a rookie mistake and people here always have good advice. Will leave them alone and keep my fingers crossed.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Momma will definitely look after them. Do not touch till she brings the babies off the nest to eat and drink. Provide feed and water close to her nest.

6hensJen likes this.
  9. 6hensJen

6hensJen Chirping

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Oh no! I peeked this morning before I read this! Hope I didn’t mess up! She fluffed up a little but is used to being handled so didn’t seem upset at me lifting up a few feathers to see two tiny adorable fluffy faces peeking out! I will leave her be then until they are up and about. I have her feed, a small waterer (secured) and a chick feeder right next to the nest.

Virginia and James likes this.
  10. 6hensJen

6hensJen Chirping

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Update: all four eggs hatched fine and momma has been amazing! Kept them on the nest then taught them to eat and drink and is now teaching them to scratch around their pen and feeding them bugs. They all seem healthy and happy, Mother’s instinct is amazing and now I feel silly for being such a worry wart lol. Thanks all for your advice! 11C74327-97B0-44BB-A72B-A65C04A16580.jpeg

Virginia and James and sourland like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: