Leave lamp off or turn back on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fatcatx, May 17, 2016.

1. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 6 week old chicks that have been outside about 1 ½ weeks. They were raised in the garage.

Our weather has warmed up enough that it has briefly stayed in the 60s the last few nights so I turned off the heat lamp altogether. (Previously it was only on at night.) The 60s will last maybe two more days and then it is going to dip back down to 50.

So my question is: do I need to turn the lamp back on for the 50s? They will only have had about 4-5 days to acclimate to the 60s and no heat. I figured they are a little soft after being raised in a toasty garage but they are fully feathered.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    They will be just fine with no heat. Chickens handle the cold much better then they handle extreem heat. 50s will be fine.

3. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I agree with OFW. Chickens are much hardier than a lot of folks give them credit for. If they're feathered out, get rid of that god-awful lamp.

4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    X3

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 6 weeks they can handle the 50s easily.

I have an outdoor grow out pen where I put them around 3-4 weeks. Like you, I run the heat at night most of the time, I just vary it depending on the weather. Then around 6 weeks or when they're feathered out, they go to the next step pen with no heat (but some nice fat Cornish Cross to snuggle with---those things really put off the heat!).

As long as they're out of the wind or wet, they'll do well.

6. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! Just what i wanted to hear. I love the overwhelming consensus. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the reassurance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by