1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leave one behind?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryansmommy83, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    ok so im a little confused. when you have some newer chickens in a coop are you supposed to leave an egg behind so they think they have a " safe nest " or is it ok to just take the eggs out and leave nothing ? should i put the wooden eggs back in because out of 6 only 2 are laying and its not even daily.[​IMG] picky chickens!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    just keep some golfballs in the nests. My grandma used to keep eggs made out of plaster of paris in the nests.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would put the wooden eggs back in. My girls have all been laying for awhile, but I still leave golf balls in the nest.
    Leaving real eggs in there means taking a chance that the real egg could get broken and the chickens discover it.
    ETA: It's not uncommon that the girls that have just started laying wouldn't lay every day. It may be every other day or two days in a row, followed by one off. It's very erratic at first.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a golf ball in some of mine and I bought some plastic eggs that were camoflauge (since they lay dark eggs) and put in the rest. They lay in both setups.

5. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    [​IMG] wow i never knew chickens were so touchy ! ok im going to put the wooden eggs back in !

6. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Is this something that should be done always? We have a small flock for the first time and they seem to be laying nicely since we got them last week. Or is this to be done when laying laggs?

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's not a must do, but if you have young pullets that are just coming up on laying age it doesn't hurt. It lets them know that the nest boxes are a safe place for laying eggs; after all the hen that lays the golf balls thinks so. [​IMG]

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I put in a blue easter egg, and they think it's just fine... though if I let my kids gather the eggs, the blue plastic one usually ends up in my fridge too.

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I keep a fake plastic egg in each nest. Some kick it out when they go into the nest to lay, but most seem to really like it. It's fun to watch them carefully tuck the fake egg underneath them as they set and wait to lay their own egg. As long as most seem to like it, I'll just leave the fake eggs in there.

10. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I put them in the different nest boxes because my hens all wanted to lay in the same box. It worked. They don't fight over the same box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by