leaves for bedding?

slightlyscrambled

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Nebraska
has any one used leaves over straw for bedding? Kind of in a financial pinch and was hoping to just supplement my bedding with leaves for a few weeks. Will this be okay?

Good question, I bet if they are dried out and not soaking wet, they would work great. I use grass clipping once they dry out. Thanks for the idea
big_smile.png

I think so long as they are VERY dry, it could work in a pinch...however, bedding needs to be dry, which is why pine shavings or even pelleted pine bedding works best. Leaves are not very absorbent.

I've used dry leaves in my run and I don't see why they wouldn't work in an enclosed coop. They shred up as the chickens scratch around in them, and I just keep adding more leaves on top. Eventually they just add to the layer of soil in the run. I've got more leaves than money, so it works well for me, and the chickens haven't complained yet. I've even put wet leaves in the run since I figured it was better than having them stand in the mud. I wouldn't put wet leaves in the coop however.

what about cedar chips - i didnt have straw and this is what i use for the dogs beds - and its dry and in the dry - do the chickens mind the smell of cedar

Quote:
The oils in the cedar cause toxic fumes for the chickens to breathe. Leaves can have mites on them so pine shavibgs are what I use. Search deep litter method and you will find lots of info on bedding.

Back
Top Bottom