Leaves!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kla37, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I was just raking my yard, and put bucketfulls of leaves in the chicken run in a huge pile. They are LOVING it! I hope that helps give them something to do. It's already shredded and all over the place. You'd think it was chirstmas for them. Also found a tiny snake and threw it in there. They loved it, yum yum....

1 person likes this.
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Mine love the leaves too, it's like a bunch of kids in the leaf pile. [​IMG] I do it weekly in the winter to keep them busy.

We're a certified wildlife habitat, so I don't toss in the snakes, but it's a great food source!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I do the same thing. Can't wait till winter!! My mom gets the guy that does her yard to bag up all her leaves and I go pick them up!! I have some serious happy chickens then!! [​IMG]

Missi

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I had a ton of leaves from last fall which I used in the run for quite some time...then I ran out. Nothing is falling here yet, either. But it does make an excellent ground for the run!

5. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    We have an abundance of leaves, and I put fresh in their run everyday! After they're in the coop for the night, I sprinkle a little DE, then till everything under, then throw a wheelbarrow full of new leaves over top of everything. Then in the morning when they come out, they peck and scratch, and mulch it all up. It's like free fresh bedding every day!

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    My birds like to wait for me to get the leaves all picked up on the lawn--use a rider/bagger--then they go in the shrubs and kick more out on the lawn.[​IMG]

7. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    [​IMG]

8. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Love this site, we have learned much from you guys; like today I read about the leaves in the run; so I raked up a large pile, and poured them in their run, and they had a blast scratching around in the pile.. Gonna do this a lot.. Thanks for sharing the tip.

9. WillowChick

WillowChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Just raked my leaves and dumped them in the run. They went nuts! They had a few leaves in there before but I could just hear their little chicken thoughts "Yes, but Momma... these are PILES of leaves with STUFF in em!" [​IMG]

10. Sharon2012

Sharon2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Southeast Tennessee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by