1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leaving 6 week old chicks out of the coop during the day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Aug 7, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    @ 4 weeks I let them in the coop and they have been fine there all day. Now they are being let out into the run on the side of the house. 35 feet by 8 feet wide. Completely fenced (10') high all the way and all the ways to get out have been filled with rock or a way to prevent them from getting out. Day time only at 6 weeks in the run or wait until they get older. If older at what age will it be good for an all day out in the run out of the coop? I will be home and if not they go back in the wired coop 6' X 10' while im gone.

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I've been letting my just over 4 week old chicks outside in our yard when we are home for about a week now. Mine have been doing great and have been eating every slug, snail and bug they can find. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    they're definitly ready to be out during the day, especially if you're home to hear them in case of trouble... mine have been out since wk 5 as long as the weather has been good, so six weeks shouldn't be any problem.... and they'll be so happy!!!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Thanks for the confidence. I have been letting them out today for a few hours but just put them back in the play area of the coop. Just a worried new daddy [​IMG][​IMG] I guess like anything 1 day at a time LOL even for a chicken [​IMG]

BAZ..

5. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can let you chickens outside the coop when they are about 4 weeks old (when their mom would abandon them naturally) for a few hours. When they are 5 weeks old then you can start letting them out all day as long as the weather is nice. Good luck!!

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My six week olds have been free ranging with the 22 week EE and 18 week silkies for the past two weeks. They were throwing themselves against hardware cloth front of the brooder coop and I thought they were going to kill themselves so I openned the door since they were fully feathered. They're in with the rest of the birds now.

We've been 49 - 52 for our lows and they don't even huddle to sleep. I think if your babies are feathered they will be just fine. I'd just keep an eye on them the first day or two to make sure they don't huddle from being cold.

7. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    My four 5 weekers are in the 8x8 run all day by themselves. I only bring them in at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by