Leaving chicks in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimi123, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jimi123

jimi123 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    My chicks are due next Thursday and this is the first time I've had chickens and chicks. Do I have to bring the chicks inside when they hatch or will my broody hen keep them warm?

I also have a concern, my nest boxes are quite high off the perch area, will the chicks fall out of the nest boxses onto the coop floor or will they know?

P.S I live in the UK and i'd say it is quite cold around 9 c in the day and 3 c in the night.

Thanks for help given.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had mama hens raise chicks in similar temps, in the coop. They will probably jump out of about a meter high nest without a problem, if they land on something soft like a bunch of hay. Many a hen has raised her chicks in a hayloft, several meters up. The mama will then just cover them where they gather. Again, a good floor of hay or other litter helps, also gives them something to snuggle into. Mama will provide all the heat they need.

If you're in the coop the day after they hatch, you could just lift them out of the nest and put them on the coop floor, just to be sure no one hurts themself jumping down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by