Leaving eggs for hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sbrown, Feb 17, 2013.

1. sbrown

sbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    I have a red sex link hen that just started laying again. She went broody this spring but was sitting unfertile eggs. I replaced them and she hatched and raised 8 . I was about to give up on her until she just started laying again. I assume her eggs are fertile since I have 2 roos in my pen, one nice buff and one Americauna. I want her to hatch another clutch so I was going to start leaving her eggs in hopes that she will get broody and want to sit. My questions are how long do I give her and how long will the eggs hold up until she does start sitting. It dropped to about 27 degrees last night and I didn't know if the cold weather would hurt them any. I assume about 7-8 days and she will start sitting if she is going to?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Leaving eggs under a hen does not usually cause them to go broody. If their hormones switch to broodiness, they will sit with no eggs at all under them. I would wait til she goes broody then give her a set of eggs to hatch. It's unusual for them to go broody in winter, though it happens, and they can set eggs and raise chicks most any time.

3. sbrown

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    It was probably March last year when she went broody. Poor thing sat for about six weeks I think. Cause I couldn't find her for 2-3 weeks since she had made a nest in some ground cover along my driveway and then I put the fertile eggs under her.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would just collect eggs she will act broody on her own and you can let her set then.

5. sbrown

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    Ok, so I'm confused. If they are laying they're not broody and if they're broody then they're not laying? How do they ever hatch any eggs? If thats the case then when she goes broody I won't have any eggs. I figured at some point they would go broody if laying . She is laying about everyday now all of sudden and in same nest box. I have left the last two eggs from today and yesterday. If I want to put them in an incubator how long will they be good?

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    they should be good for a few days. hens often lay eggs then leave the nest. then come back the next day, and lay another one.the egg that was already in the nest probably develops a bit with mom on there and when she leaves it stops developing. and it is okay. eggs are tough.

7. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    A hen will lay eggs untill she is broody and then she will sit on the eggs she allready laid.Over time she will kick out bad eggs especially if she has laid alot of eggs in her nest.
    I have 2 mixed hens one a game mix hen another a silkie EE hen who both go broody all the time.The little game mix hen had hidden nest and was sitting on 16 eggs . [​IMG]Unfortunately my egg sucking dog got out and found the eggs and kicked her off her nest and ate them all.[​IMG]

Eggs will not develope as the hen lays eggs in the nest,they remain in a sort of stasis.If that happened all the chicks in the eggs would develope at diffrent times and most would die after the first few hatch and she leaves the nest with them.
    Now if some other hen is laying in her nest she is broody on then those will develope and have diffrent hatch days then the original ones she started with.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by