Leaving eggs in turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hunter1hall, Oct 20, 2009.

1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    I was wondering if anyone ever just turns off the egg turner and leaves the eggs in the turner to hatch? I have seen what looked liked people hatching eggs out of a carton. I know they say to lay the eggs on the mesh of the hatcher so they can roll around to get in the correct position, but once a few hatch they get moved all over the place. So I was wondering if they could be left in the turner to hatch?

2. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I did read in my incubator instructions that the chicks may get caught in the turner (even if it isn't moving) so they definately recommend removing it.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The big thing is do you want to have to clean the turner? If you take it out an put them in a carton you get to throw the mess away after they hatch.

But then again I'm not a big fan of the carton hatch method .

4. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    I guess i was wondering if they can hatch in the seated upright position. Whether in a carton or turner. Does hatching this way reduce or impede hatching rates?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I move mine out of the turner into egg cartons to hatch. Works very well for me.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I wouldn't recommend hatching upright but others on here would. In the link I posted I tried to explain it. Its all a matter of situation.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We had our best hatch ever with the carton method.

What you have to remember with the turner is that there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the egg cup and the wire; so there is the option for the feet to get caught. There is also the risk of getting a foot caught in the various cracks

If you do the carton method, what is easy and keeps thing easier is to have 3-4 extra cups in the carton so that when the chicks pop the hatch, roll out and hop over the eggs, when they settle down, they settle into a empty space, keeping them cleaner, the eggs cleaner, and the chick has less ways to hurt itself.

Just a thought!!!!!!

Happy Hatching [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by