Leaving eggs on the counter

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mjcalkins, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mjcalkins

mjcalkins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I typically will leave eggs on the counter, up to 2 weeks at a time (this works well for making hard boiled eggs, so I've noticed in my research!) - Now that we have roosters and the eggs are (hopefully) fertile, does that have any impact on leaving them on the counter rather than refrigerating them? Sorry for such a question - I wouldn't think it would matter (that's what my brain is telling me, anyway) as I know that without the momma hen or an incubator, the egg can't develop, so I AM ok with leaving them out, right??

BTW, no we haven't gotten sick from letting the eggs stay out. ;)

2. We also leave eggs out in a basket on the counter. I would be comfortable with 3 weeks myself but they never last that long. I would guess that the blastoderm might progress some but that is merely a guess. Lately no eggs last longer than 5 days here as we usually eat about 10 for breakfast. I do think I see a bigger dot at times. But nothing other than that.

3. mjcalkins

Jun 25, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for your reply - yes, same here - eggs don't last long, anyway! My head knows it's fine, but I was still questioning whether it's ok, lol!

4. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    CC, Texas
  5. mjcalkins

Jun 25, 2012
    Upstate NY
    No, it's never above 80 in the house, even during the warmest months, thanks to having an old farmhouse. :D

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    From what I've read fertile eggs stay fresh even longer than non fertile one do.

7. mjcalkins

Jun 25, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Interesting! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by