leaving for a week, pullet at 20 weeks...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pkforever, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    So I've got 4 chickens, A BO who is currently 20-21 weeks, GLW who is like 16 weeks, and EE who is 17, and a Polish who is like 10 weeks. I'm not too worried about the younger ones but my BO is at POL and I'm still waiting on that first egg and since I'll be leaving for a week I won't be able to check everyday. We're going camping! [​IMG] But we'll be able to come back at least twice during the week. So I'll be able to check then. But the egg won't be good to eat if I find it a day after it's laid correct?
    Here is some pictures of my girls...
    My BO
    [​IMG]
    My EE
    [​IMG]
    and My GLW, who is slightly camera shy...
    [​IMG]
    Then my polish wouldn't even come out of hiding...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Meh, half the time, we forget to put our eggs in the fridge for a day or three after they're laid. They just get lost in the shuffle. (I have two sitting on my counter right now.) We're all still alive. I say go for it! And enjoy your camping trip!

But returning t check on them.collect eggs would be a good idea. In this weather, you'll definitely want to change their water supply regularly. If you can't do it, perhaps a neighbor could be persuaded? I sometimes have my next-door neighbor's child change food and water and collect eggs in exchange for... eggs! I don't expect her to clean my coop in my absence, but at least I know the "kids" are being looked after.

3. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Awesome! I have this gut feeling that she is going to hold out until we leave. I've been checking everyday since she turned 18 weeks. I'm so anxious!!! Does anyone know when BO's usually start laying?

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Unless your high temps are in the 90s any eggs will be fine for a week or more.

Matt

5. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    The temps here have been in the 80's lately...

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Love your EE she is really pretty!! [​IMG]

7. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you!!!

8. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Pretty birds. We went away for a week. We had a kid checking on our chickens, but she missed the fact they laid three eggs. Those were the FIRST eggs our girls laid. Anyway, the eggs are okay. We did the water test - do they sink (okay) or float (throw away).

Have a great time on your trip!

9. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:I didn't know the water test, thank you this is a very good thing to know!!

10. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Your chickens are definitely going to lay when you are gone. I think they do it on purpose. We left for a week, came back for a weekend then left again and on Monday our chickensitter sent me a text with a photo of the 1st egg. I was a little sad for awhile and then realized that I'd rather have them laying when I'm gone then to have to keep waiting. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by