Leaving for the weekend for a wedding...What about my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trinity3205, May 26, 2010.

1. Trinity3205

Trinity3205 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Morganton, NC
    Hi all...I have a question.

I have to leave this weekend Thursday night and will be gone till Monday. I have my first batch of eggs in the incubator now. I set them on the 13th so Monday is day 18 and I will be back sometime Monday afternoon to get them ready for hatching. I dont have a turner and have been doing it by hand, so since I will be completely not here for three days, I have a little problem. I have thought about just going and buying the turner but I just dont know if I will have the time to travel all the way to the store to get it before I leave.

If I have someone come once a day to turn them and check on them, will that be enough for those three days I wont be here at all? What if they forget to turn them at all?

There are only 13 eggs but I have candled them all and they all seem viable so far as I can see. I even got to see movement in a few of them with my little homemade candler so Im very excited to get to hatch day. I would hate to loose them now.

So glad to have found this forum...Im just getting into chickens but they are so much fun!
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Although not an ideal situation- turning once a day is better than not at all... But people have still had a good hatch when they havent turned the eggs regularly throughout the whole incubation. It is especially more important during the earlier stages I have been told- So it should be to detrimental to your hatch. I have had a few trips away when I havent turned eggs for about 48 hours- And I can say that it had a major effect on the hatch. Enjoy your wekend and the wedding...Dont stress too much over the eggs...You got them this far...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by