Leaving for Vacation, how to prepare

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marie_martin, Jun 7, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have to leave for a weeks vacation soon and wanted to know if you have any tips for leaving the chickens while I am gone. I have someone who will come by and check on them for me. The run is attached to the coop but I won't be here to open and close the door to the coop. Should I just leave the door open so they can come and go as they please? The run has never been invaded by any predator so is pretty secure. It has buried wire around the outside and welded wire up the sides and then covered over the top with wire as well. I have a large water container and several smaller ones I can fill. I have a large food container too. I will have new babies when I leave but can secure them in the brooder that is inside the run. It has a light and is secure as well. Can leave water and food for them inside. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am looking forward to the vacation but worried about the animals. My MIL is elderly so she can check on them and such but I don't want her to have to do too much if I can help it. Thanks.

Marie

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Never having a predator problem, the chickens should be O K with the door open. The weather is nice enough for them now. The baby chicks will need to be looked in on more often, I would say 5 or 6 times a day. They seem to be able to get themselves in troube without even trying. You might be surprised and your MIL will do more than you expect. Especially if there are little babies to watch. She didn't raise her children without keep an eye on them. Have a nice vacation and don't worry, everything will be fine.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by