Leaving infertile eggs in incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gray Ghost, May 11, 2011.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    This is my first time incubating. My hatch date is two days away (Friday May 13).

I had a difficult time determining whether my eggs were incubating properly, when I tried to candle them. I solved the problem by just leaving all the eggs in the incubator. I plan to dispose of any eggs which have not hatched by 2 or 3 days after May 13.

I know any infertile eggs which are opened will be stink bombs. My question is this: will the hatched baby chicks in the incubator peck at the unopened, infertile, stinky eggs, thus setting off the stink bombs?

Thanks in advance.

GG

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    LMBO!!! I had this mental image of a tiny chick pecking at a swollen egg, then it explodes and flings the tiny chick into the side of the incubator with gunk everywhere.

Anyway, I have never had another chick break an egg before, so... I wouldn't think so...

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Ahahahah egg bomb [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Actually, most infertile eggs will not be evil stink bombs. They'll just sit quietly in your bator for three weeks doing nothing. Of all the infertile eggs I've ever had, none of them have been stinkers. I usually remove them at 14 days and feed them to my dogs, who are always happy to get a warm eggy treat!

But fertile eggs can also go bad and turn into stinkbombs. It all depends on bacterial contamination. If your eggs are fairly clean and your bator has been well scrubbed out and disinfected prior to setting them then you shouldn't have much to worry about. Stick your nose up close to your bator's air vents and have a good deep sniff. If you're incubating any potential horrors the whiff of sulphury rottenness should be impossible to miss. Also, as much as newly hatched chicks like to stomp and peck at the unhatched eggs, I don't think they're strong enough to actually peck through the shells, whether the eggs are rotten or not.

Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by