Leaving Kids in the Car

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I was wondering today as I was going into the post office to get stamps..
Can I just run in and grab them and leave the kids buckled?
I would have taken the keys AND locked the car..

I didnt end up going in because it was very busy but I wondered..
When is it ok to leave the kids in the car?

To run and return a movie?
Grab some stamps?

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Now there is an idea!
lol.png

and I jk by the way
hide.gif

My thoughts it is ok to leave them in the car if it is only going to take a minute or two to run your errand, your car will be in sight and the child is old enough to know not to open the door for anyone.

Last edited:
Earlier this fall there was something on the news about a mom who left her little ones in the car while she stepped outside the car to get a pop out of the machine. A cop saw her and charged her with child endangerment even tho the car and the kids never left her sight.

My Dad did it with me growing up in small town USA but I don't do it even when I know it would be fine simply because people are report happy in a lot of places.

I would suggest leaving them before they are 4 or 5 - after that, they can tell the police your name, and they usually have your phone number. Being as I live with teenagers, I am really sorry I didn't realize this a LONG time ago.

The way some folks are you would be surprised if they let their kid sleep! I routinely left my kids going into to check mail and such...when they were little...it was funny to see who all had talked to them...left the windows down and such and our town in way small! The boys would holler at folks they knew and start up conversations...now I leave them hoping they will run while I am gone...no that is wrong...in the heat of summer I would never leave them w/o the a/c on and suh...winter w/o heat...I think it is better to keep littl eones at a constant temp thanthe exposure of extremes and such...like previously stated...if you can see them...it is okay...older kids...shoot...it is a great place for them to spend some quality time remembering that in some animal species adults eat thier young.

As far as that cop goes...he should have been slapped with an walking and stupid fine

Back
Top Bottom