Leaving Light On In Coop At Night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caseym1717, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Caseym1717

Caseym1717 In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2018
    Fresno, California
    I live in California and it is so hot. It is still almost 100 out and it is almost midnight. In the coop, I have dim lighting for the winter so they can see since it gets dark so early. I am considering leaving it on a timer (I think it is for 6 hours) and leaving it on so the girls can see where their iced water is because without the light its pitch black. The light is pretty dim but you can definitely see. Will this mess up any sleeping/laying patterns? Or should I turn it off? Thanks!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Now is actually the time to begin setting your timer as the daylight is starting to shorten, if you want to keep your hens laying in winter. You need 14 continuous hours of light to maintain laying. Don't go over 16 hours.

Just make sure there is some darkness so that they do have some down time. But with dim light, that likely isn't a problem.

I presume the light doesn't give off heat, as that would be a counter productive. Also that it is secure and non-flammable. (Burned a coop down one winter from a flood lamp that ignited.)

LofMc

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. Caseym1717

Caseym1717 In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2018
    Fresno, California
  4. ChickenRelatedUserName

ChickenRelatedUserName Songster

Mar 28, 2018
    Colorado (5b)
    I feel like once they are down for the night, they aren't getting up looking for water. Perhaps if that is incorrect someone can correct me though.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Probably not....but at 100 degree heat, you do want them to be able to drink if they need it.

Misting stations and air flow could really help.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: